All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlmost Home is a rich and comprehensive study of the policy questions underlying the shift in medical care from hospitals to homes and communities, a change that is reshaping Canadian health care policy and politics. Using document analysis, and interviews with government officials and other key stakeholders in the policy community, the authors analyze the policy content and process of five different attempts to reform home and community care in Ontario between 1985 and 1996, as introduced by governments from three different political parties. As this study demonstrates, the ongoing shift from the Medicare 'mainstream' of physician and hospital care to the Medicare 'margins,' entails t only a shift in the site of care but an erosion of the post-war state's role in health care. While Medicare continues to resist political and ideological forces aimed at shrinking the state's role, cost constraints, demographic pressures and techlogical advancements are increasing pressure on home and community care. The authors have made a significant contribution to research on policy development and change. Their rigorously analytical approach fills a major gap in book-length literature on long-term health care in Canada.
- Author BiographyPatricia M. Baranek has an adjunct position in the Department of Health Policy, Management, and Evaluation at the University of Toronto. Raisa B. Deber is a professor at the University of Toronto, Dalla Lana School of Public Health. A. Paul Williams is an associate professor in the Department of Health Policy, Management, and Evaluation at the University of Toronto.
- Author(s)A. Paul Williams,Patricia M. Baranek,Raisa B. Deber
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2004
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Note1 table
- Weight520 g
- Width154 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
- AU $77.30Trending at AU $78.43
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.46
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.77
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.