Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.51
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.42
About this product
- DescriptionFrom Dartmoor to Dartmouth, the River Dart flows through some of Devon's most beautiful scenery. The towns and villages which have grown up along its banks are steeped in history and proudly preserve their rich heritage. This book shows images from the past of places all the way along the river. From the Dartmeet through Holne, Hexworthy, Buckfastleigh, Staverton, Dartington, Totnes, Ashprington, Tuckenhay, Cornworthy, Stoke Gabriel, Dittisham, Galmpton, Dartmouth and Kingswear, archive photographs bring the history of the area to life. With over 200 images carefully selected from the Local Studies Archive at Torquay Library, these pictures cover a wide range of subjects, including: the revival of Buckfast Abbey, the development and preservation of the steam railway, the proud seafaring tradition of the area (from Elizabethan adventurers such as Gilbert, Raleigh and Davis to the Britannia Royal Naval College), local involvement in warfare (from the Norman Conquest to the Falklands Conflict), village life, and the vessels that have plied the Dart during the twentieth century. Of course, book of this kind would be complete without mentioning some of the many colourful legends and folk stories that abound concerning this area and Mike Holgate has used many such tales in this expertly written captions. People who enjoy a long-standing association with the area will love the stalgia of this book - which takes the reader both along the river and down memory lane! Those who are of a more recent association with the area will love the stalgia of this book - which takes the reader both along the river and down memory lane! Those who are of a more recent association with the River Dart will delight in seeing its history displayed through high-quality images and comprehensive text.
- Author(s)Mike Holgate
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/02/1999
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series TitleImages of England
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Note200ill.
- Weight310 g
- Width172 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.