All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a complete introduction to Alpine mountaineering. If you are planning your first trip to the Alps or anxious to improve on your performance on previous trips, you need this book. Even seasoned Alpinists will benefit from Bruce's clarity and depth of experience. Everything you need to kw is here and ne of the issues are ducked, from dealing with hut guardians to moving roped together. The first part of the book deals with the kwledge and techniques you will need. The second part consists of a choice of good routes to help you gain experience. In this guidebook-style section the route length is included together with the area, where to stay, access, map and kit requirements and the full route descriptions. The chapters are: Going Alpine; About the Alps; Objective Dangers; Weather; Kit; Technical Equipment; Alpine Movement; Protecting Yourself; Glacier Travel; Speed vs Security; Navigation; Rescue; Via Ferrata; Planning an Alpine Trip; Am I Ready?; and, Guidebook.
- Author BiographyBorn in Ayrshire with both parents employed as teachers, Bruce spent most of his childhood in the outdoors. He is quoted by his father as asking, at a young age, Dad, why do we have to climb every mountain? He's been climbing mountains ever since! After studying geography at Glasgow University, Bruce spent a year at Glenmore Lodge (the national outdoor training centre in the Scottish Highlands) as a trainee instructor. He has worked in the outdoor industry ever since, guiding and instructing all over the world. Bruce qualified as an IFMGA (International Federation of Mountain Guide Associations) guide in 2001 and is now involved in the training and assessment of British Mountain Guides. He lives in the French Alps where he runs his mountaineering business, sharing his passion for the mountains with his clients in the form of climbing courses in the summer months and skiing and ice climbing in winter. Away from the mountains, Bruce has been a regular contributor to Climber magazine for many years.
- Author(s)Bruce Goodlad
- PublisherPesda Press
- Date of Publication07/10/2011
- SubjectFishing, Field Sports & Outdoor Activities
- Place of PublicationBangor
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPesda Press
- Content Notecolour maps & photos
- Width170 mm
- Height240 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $32.78Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
- AU $33.35Trending at AU $36.06
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.