All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis new type of geographical dictionary lists past and present alternate names of more than 7,000 places. It focuses particularly on placenames with official or semiofficial status rather than nicknames or colloquial abbreviations. Alternate placenames are important for historical and geographical reasons, and although they predominate in countries that have undergone wars and invasions, such alternate names can equally result from political or administrative changes. In addition to the factual data related to each entry, the dictionary also comments on names and their origins where appropriate. Appendices focus on placenames in n-English languages and on places which have been renamed in fictional works.
- Author BiographyA noted toponymist and onomastician, Adrian Room is the author of more than 50 reference books about words and names. He lives in Stamford, Lincolnshire, England.
- Author(s)Adrian Room
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication15/08/2009
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Notebibliography
- Weight476 g
- Width177 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.66
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.26
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.39
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.57
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.