All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTrauma training is regularly conducted within the military medical community in an environment of increasing scrutiny and pressure to replace animals with inanimate alternatives. This thesis uses the Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) animal laboratory as the basis of evaluation to answer the question: Can nanimal alternatives replace the use of animals in military medical trauma training? Evidence collection via literature search recovered over five hundred discussions of animate and inanimate model use in training. Alternative models were categorized, then analyzed to determine their most appropriate role in procedural psychomotor skill development. This niche analysis indicates that: (1) Nonphysical Models are appropriate only for cognitive skill development, (2) Nonrealistic Physical Models, Anthropanalogous Models, and Cadaver Models are most appropriate for basic psychomotor skill development, and (3) Only animal models and Complex Interactive Mannequins are appropriate for advanced skill development or terminal proficiency testing. An Event-Totality Standard (ETS) comprising critical resuscitative procedures was applied to determine the individual or collective ability of identified alternatives to replace animals in trauma training. No single alternative can replace the use of animals in trauma training. Alternative models may collectively fulfill the ETS; however, training objectives or practical considerations may preclude such collective model use.
- Author(s)David S Galloway
- Date of Publication17/09/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight327 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.75
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $38.99
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.32
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.