All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis short colorful booklet illustrates the roller coaster life cancer survivors are on after completing chemo. On one side they are happy to be alive and finished with chemo therapy and on the other side they are terrified the cancer will return. As a professional woman, a wife and a friend, Annette (diagsed with Stage IIIC ovarian cancer in 2008) feels compelled to suppress her disappointments, anger, envy, and depression with her diagsis. Consequently, she creates a double of herself named Althea (meaning healer in Greek) who rages, tells off people who patronize her and who often acts like the uppity teal (the ovarian cancer color) broad that she is. Her feelings are often illustrated through the paintings of Althea in various predicaments. In the process, Annette reveals that it is ok to be angry but one also needs to see oneself in an objective way. She hopes to unveil the feelings of cancer survivors and to help them cope. McElhineys paintings are available online by googling Annette McElhiney at Fine Arts of America. All royalties go to ovarian cancer research.
- Author BiographyThe writer and painter of the booklet is a former registered nurse; BA, MA, and PHD of English and Women's Studies; and professor emeritus at Metropolitan State University of Denver. However, for her, being diagnosed with IIIC ovarian Cancer has been the biggest challenge of her life. Consequently, as a writer, painter, cancer survivor, and activist she is donating every penny she makes to ovarian cancer research.
- Author(s)Dr Annette Bennington McElhiney
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication17/12/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMind, Body & Spirit: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight59 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine2 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.84
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.16
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.10
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.