All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBrahms's deeply moving Alto Rhapsody is one of the glories of the choral repertoire. Though it was written as a wedding song for the daughter of his friend Clara Schumann, the work clearly seems a deeply personal one for Brahms. Perhaps, as some have suggested, a melancholy reflection on his own solitary life. This great concert favorite is based on portions of the text of Goethe's Harzreise im Winter ( Winter Journey in the Harz Mountains ), and set for alto solo, men's chorus, and orchestra.In addition to the Alto Rhapsody, this volume contains three other major Brahms choral works: the Song of Destiny, a setting of a poem by Holderlin; Nanie, a dirge for Brahms's friend Anselm Feuerbach, set to a text by Schiller; and Song of the Fates, set to passages from Act IV of Goethe's Iphigenie auf Tauris. All four works have been reprinted from the authoritative edition published by Breitkopf & Hartel, Leipzig.
- Author BiographyGerman composer Johannes Brahms (1833 97) was a leading musician of the Romantic period and a virtuoso pianist who premiered many of his own works. He wrote for piano, chamber ensembles, symphony orchestra, solo voice, and chorus.
- Author(s)Johannes Brahms
- PublisherDover Publications Inc.
- Date of Publication01/05/1995
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDover Publications Inc.
- Weight385 g
- Width239 mm
- Height311 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.