All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough this book is about baseball, it is also about human nature, and extreme differences in the way people choose to live their lives. Leonard Compton's family has existed on the fringes of society for many years. He is only seven years old when his family is decimated over a period of less than a year. Only his older brother and he are left, and the older brother cant care for Leonard and continue the meager existence his is accustomed to. The decision to put Leonard in the care of strangers is t an easy one, but one he feels is necessary. Instead of placing Leonard in foster care, the social worker and her husband adopt Leonard. How do you explain what Lasagna tastes like to someone who has never even had a real American meal? There many challenges, both to the couple, and to Leonard as he learns to exist in a completely different way. The discovery that he can use either hand equally well is amusing, but when a couple of his young friends find he can throw a baseball with incredible speed and accuracy with either hand, he becomes an overnight phemen, gaining national publicity through the Little League program. His acceptance of the Christian faith, and more importantly, his living of the faith, forms the basis of the story that has him starting a n-profit foundation at the age of 12 to help disadvantaged kids. His success as a baseball player provides the means to raise money for the foundation and its success mirrors his success at baseball. He attributes his success in both ventures t to his own efforts, but to God's plan for his life. Tragedy and success are both elements of God's plan, and Leonard has to deal with both aspects as he seeks to spread the word of God through his own example. The story portrays much more than we expect from one so young, but isn't anything possible with God?
- Author BiographyJohn Buckner is the author of seven previous novels, four in the Christian Fiction genre. He was born and grew up in South Carolina. After 24 years in the U.S. Navy he lived in Louisa County, Virginia until 2004, at which time he moved to Chino Valley, Arizona. Most of his works focus on younger characters and eschew adult content.
- Author(s)MR John O Buckner
- Date of Publication03/12/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight422 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.39
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $107.81
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $20.37
- AU $22.62Trending at AU $22.86
- AU $16.48Trending at AU $17.15
- AU $14.34Trending at AU $15.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.