All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA unique look at America's quest to carve out an artistic identity during the Depression era Through 50 masterpieces of painting, this fascinating catalogue chronicles the turbulent ecomic, political, and aesthetic climate of the 1930s. This decade was a supremely creative period in the United States, as the nation's artists, velists, and critics struggled through the Great Depression seeking to define modern American art. In the process, many painters challenged and reworked the meanings and forms of modernism, reaching simple consensus. This period was also marked by an astounding diversity of work as artists sought styles-ranging from abstraction to Regionalism to Surrealism-that allowed them to engage with issues such as populism, labor, social protest, and to employ an urban and rural icography including machines, factories, and farms. Seminal works by Edward Hopper, Grant Wood, Thomas Hart Benton, Georgia O'Keeffe, Aaron Douglas, Charles Sheeler, Stuart Davis, and others show such attempts to capture the American character. These groundbreaking paintings, highlighting the relationship between art and national experience, demonstrate how creativity, experimentation, and revolutionary vision flourished during a time of great uncertainty.
- Author BiographyJudith A. Barter is Field-McCormick Chair and Curator of American Art, Annelise K. Madsen is assistant curator of American art, and Sarah Kelly Oehler is Gilda and Henry Buchbinder Associate Curator of American Art, all at the Art Institute of Chicago. Sarah L. Burns is professor emerita at Indiana University. Teresa A. Carbone is program director for American art at the Henry Luce Foundation.
- Author(s)Judith A. Barter
- PublisherArt Institute of Chicago
- Date of Publication21/06/2016
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationChicago
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintArt Institute of Chicago
- Content Note105 color + 15 b/w illus.
- Weight1498 g
- Width238 mm
- Height305 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.