All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWar organized violence against an enemy of the state seems part and parcel of the American journey. Indeed, the United States was established by means of violence as ordinary citizens from New Hampshire to Georgia answered George Washington s call to arms. Since then, war has become a staple of American history. Counting the War for Independence, the United States has fought the armed forces of other nations at least twelve times, averaging a major conflict every twenty years. In so doing, the objectives have been simple: advance the cause of freedom, protect U.S. interests, and impose America s will upon a troubled world. More often than t, the results have been successful as America s military has accounted itself well. Yet the cost has been high, in both blood and treasure. Americans have fought and died around the globe on land, at sea, and in the air. Without doubt, their actions have shaped the world in which we live. In this comprehensive collection, Terence T. Finn provides a set of narratives each concise and readable on the twelve major wars America has fought. He explains what happened, and why such places as Saratoga and Antietam, Manila Bay and Midway are important to an understanding of America s past. Readers will easily be able to brush up on their history and acquaint themselves with those individuals and events that have helped define the United States of America.
- Author BiographyEducated at Williams College and the University of Sussex, Terence T. Finn holds a PhD from Georgetown University. His career encompasses the National Aeronautics and Space Administration as well as staff positions on Capitol Hill. Finn is the author of two novels, The Best of Times and To Begin Again, as well as When Europe Went Mad, an account of the First World War.
- Author(s)Terence T Finn
- PublisherPenguin Putnam Inc
- Date of Publication19/02/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBerkley Publishing Corporation,U.S.
- Weight363 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $16.08Trending at AU $23.14
- AU $69.60Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.87
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.