All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince September 11, 2001, the extensive literature on the United States's image abroad, by popular pundits and academics alike, leaves the reader with a false impression that foreigners' views of America are rmally negative and impervious to change. In fact they are complex, emotional, frequently internally contradictory, and often change quickly. Barry A. Sanders corrects this misimpression with a rigorous and insightful textual analysis of the roots of people's views of the United States and what can be done to alter them. According to Sanders, the attitudes a person expresses about the United States consist of two separate components: the person's memory bank of images (informed by American geography, people, philosophy, history, and foreign policy) and a predisposition or bias that influences which images are called forth from memory.Opinion surveys, such as the Pew Global Attitude Survey, only record the spoken result of this twostep process in their tabulation of favorable or unfavorable comments. They necessarily fail to see the underlying complexity. Examining the biases or predispositions that guide people in selecting among the myriad stored images to express an opinion on a given day, Sanders analyzes both anti-American and pro-American biases but focuses on the former, explaining which criticisms should be heeded when crafting foreign policy and communicating national objectives to friends and foes alike.
- Author BiographyBarry A. Sanders is an adjunct professor of communications studies at UCLA. He is a member of the New York-based Council on Foreign Relations and the West Coast-based Committee on Foreign Relations and Pacific Council on International Policy. He lives in Beverly Hills, California.
- Author(s)Barry A. Sanders
- PublisherPotomac Books Inc
- Date of Publication01/10/2011
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Place of PublicationDulles
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPotomac Books Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight499 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $36.00
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.