All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBuilding on the nexus between philanthropy and government that emerged during the late 1920s, American foundations played a significant role in developing American-European cultural relations. They shaped the interaction between government and private agencies; they acted as catalysts of social change; they served as 'global' bridges between East and West; and they stimulated political, intellectual and ecomic elites to co-operate with one ather, in both national and international contexts. This volume assembles the contributions of an international conference held at Amalfi in 2001. The authors explore emerging connections between the history of international relations, the history of scholarship, and the history of philanthropy. Their work focuses on the role of the larger American foundations in Europe during the 20th century, and explores the ways in which the foundations worked - across countries and cultures, and throughy- across countries and cultures, and through bi-lateral, trans-national and international projects and programmes.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Giuliana Gemelli is Professor of Contemporary History at the University of Bologna. Her publications on the history of foundations include: The Ford Foundation and Europe (1950s-1970s): Cross-Fertilization of Learning in Social Sciences and Management (1998), and The Unacceptables: American Foundations and Refugee Scholars between the Two Wars and After (2000). She is currently Director of the Master's program in International Studies in Philanthropy at the University of Bologna. Roy MacLeod is Professor of History at the University of Sydney, where he teaches social and cultural history and the history of science. He was educated at Harvard and Cambridge, and has written widely in the history of science, medicine and technology. He is the Editor of Minerva.
- PublisherEuropean Interuniversity Press
- Date of Publication01/03/2003
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitleEuroclio Etudes et Documents/Studies and Documents
- Series Part/Volume Number28
- Country of PublicationBelgium
- ImprintEuropean Interuniversity Press
- Weight330 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
- Edited byGiuliana Gemelli,Roy MacLeod
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.