American Independent Cinema: Indie, Indiewood and Beyond by Taylor & Francis Ltd (Paperback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $49.40Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $64.94+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe American independent sector has attracted much attention in recent years, an upsurge of academic work on the subject being accompanied by wider public debate. But many questions remain about how exactly independence should be defined and how its relationship might be understood with other parts of the cinematic landscape, most tably the Hollywood studios. Edited and written by leading authors in the field, American Independent Cinema: indie, indiewood and beyond offers an examination of the field through four sections that range in focus from broad definitions to close focus on particular manifestations of independence. A wide variety of examples are included but within a framework that offers insights into how these are related to one ather. More specifically this collection offers: * an account of recent developments as well as reviewing, reassessing and revising a number of central positions, approaches and arguments relating to various parts of the independent and/or indie sector. * Individual case studies that range from the distinctive qualities of the work of established 'quality' filmmakers such as Wes Anderson, Steven Soderbergh and Rebecca Miller to studies of horror genre production at the more 'disreputable' end of the independent spectrum. * Examples of the limits of independence available in some cases within Hollywood, including studies of the work of Stanley Kubrick and Hal Ashby. * Case studies of under-researched areas in the margins of American independent cinema, including the Disney nature films and Christian evangelical filmmaking. * A number of wider overview chapters that examine contemporary American independent cinema from a number of perspectives. Together, the chapters in the collection offer a unique contribution to the study of independent film in the United States. Contributors: Warren Buckland, Philip Drake, Mark Gallagher, Geoff King, Peter Kramer, Novotny Lawrence, James MacDowell, Claire Molloy, Michael Z. Newman, Alisa Perren, James Russell, Thomas Schatz, Michele Schreiber, Janet Staiger, Yannis Tzioumakis, Sarah Wharton
- Author BiographyGeoff King is Professor of Film Studies at Brunel University and author of five books focused on the independent sector, including American Independent Cinema (2005), Indiewood, USA: Where Hollywood Meets Independent Cinema (2009) and Indie 2.0: Change and Continuity in Contemporary Indie Film (2012). Claire Molloy is Professor of Film, Television and Digital Media at Edge Hill University. She is the author and editor of three books including Memento (2010), a volume in the 'American Indies' series, and has published widely on various film topics in edited collections and journals. Yannis Tzioumakis is Lecturer in Communication and Media at the University of Liverpool. He is the author of three books on independent filmmaking, including American Independent Cinema: An Introduction (2006) and Hollywood's Indies: Classics Divisions, Specialty Labels and the American Film Market (2012). He also co-edits the series 'American Indies,' which has published five volumes since 2009.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication30/10/2012
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note11 black & white tables, 11 black & white halftones
- Weight408 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byClaire Molloy,Geoff King,Yannis Tzioumakis
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $6.15New
- AU $22.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.44New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.