All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines crisis, transition and metamorphosis in American independent cinema. By examining six films, all of which conform to the tion of 'indiewood' (King 2005) from a formal perspective, this book argues that American 'indie' cinema is t one merely in crisis, but also of crisis. As a cinema that draws upon an American cinematic heritage that explores various rites of passage (the teen movie, the road movie, the western), these films deal in images of crisis, transition and metamorphosis. This cinema of crisis offers surprisingly subversive and critical images that both engage with and undermine modes of cliched representation and thought by exploring tions of ambiguity and opacity. Case studies include: The Virgin Suicides, Elephant, Dead Man, Last Days, Somewhere and Broken Flowers; engages with and develops on recent scholarship on American independent film from a formal perspective and situates analysis of indie film within the context of American generic cinematic (and historical) traditions.
- Author BiographyAnna Backman Rogers is Senior Lecturer at University of Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Author(s)Anna Backman Rogers
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication30/06/2015
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleEdinburgh Studies in Film
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Content Note20 b&w illustrations
- Weight458 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.