About this product
- DescriptionThe last quarter of the 18th century was a period of extensive political, ecomic, and social change in North America, as the continent-wide struggle between European superpowers waned. Native groups found themselves enmeshed in the market ecomy and new state forms of control, among other new threats to their cultural survival. Native populations throughout North America actively engaged the expanding marketplace in a variety of ecomic and social forms. These actions, often driven by and expressed through changes in material culture, were supported by a desire to maintain distinctive ethnic identities. Illustrating the diversity of Native adaptations in an increasingly hostile and marginalized world, this volume is continental in scope ranging from Connecticut to the Carolinas, and westward through Texas and Colorado. Calling on various theoretical perspectives, the authors provide nuanced perspectives on material culture use as a manipulation of the market ecomy. A thorough examination of artifacts used by Native Americans, whether of Euro-American or Native origin, this volume provides a clear view of the realities of the ecomic and social interactions between Native groups and the expanding Euro-American population and the engagement of these Native groups in determining their own fate.
- Author BiographyLance Greene is Assistant Professor of Anthropology at American University in Washington, D.C. Mark R. Plane is a Ph.D. candidate in the Department of Anthropology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- PublisherThe University of Alabama Press
- Date of Publication15/04/2011
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationAlabama
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of Alabama Press
- Content Note15 illustrations
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byLance Greene,Mark R. Plane
- Foreword byTimothy K. Perttula
- Edition Statement2nd
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.43New
- AU $65.08Used
- AU $78.89New
- AU $105.79New
- AU $75.81Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.38Trending at AU $23.14
- AU $19.47Trending at AU $30.09
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.58
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.11
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.64
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.