All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs American Melancholy reveals, if you read about depression anywhere today--medical journal, popular magazine, National Institute of Mental Health pamphlet, or pharmaceutical company drug promotional literature--you will find three main pieces of information either explicitly stated or strongly implied: depression is a disease (like any other physical disease); it is extraordinarily prevalent in the world; and it occurs about twice as frequently in women as in men. Yet, depression was t classified as a disease until the 1980 publication of the American Psychiatric Association's Diagstic and Statistical Manual-III (DSM-III). How is it that such an illness, thought to affect between 14 and 17 million Americans, was t specifically defined until the late twentieth century?American Melancholy traces the growth of depression as an object of medical study and as a consumer commodity and illustrates how and why depression came to be such a huge medical, social, and cultural phemen. It is the first book to address gender issues in the construction of depression, explores key questions of how its diagsis was developed, how it has been used, and how we should question its application in American society.
- Author BiographyLAURA D. HIRSHBEIN is a practicing clinical psychiatrist and medical historian at the University of Michigan.
- Author(s)Laura D. Hirshbein
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication30/01/2014
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Series TitleCritical Issues in Health and Medicine Series
- Place of PublicationNew Brunswick, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRutgers University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edition StatementFirst Paperback ed
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.