American Mirror: The Life and Art of Norman Rockwell by Deborah Solomon (Hardback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $37.06Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.93+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNorman Rockwell, as much as Walt Disney or Ronald Reagan, provided America with a mirror of its dreams and aspirations. As the star illustrator for The Saturday Evening Post for nearly half a century, Rockwell portrayed a fantasy of civic togetherness, of American decency and good cheer. Or, as Deborah Solomon writes in her authoritative new biography, he painted a history of the American people that had never happened. Who was Norman Rockwell? Behind the folksy, pipe-smoking facade lay a surprisingly complex figure-a lonely man all too conscious of his inadequacies. Solomon describes him as an obsessive personality who wore his shoes too small, washed his paintings with Ivory Soap, and relied on the redemptive power of storytelling to stave off depression. He wound up in treatment with Erik Erikson, the influential psychotherapist. American Mirror draws on unpublished papers to explore the relationship between Rockwell's anguished creativity and his genius for reflecting American incence. The thrill of his work, writes Solomon, is that he was able to use the commercial form of magazine illustration to thrash out his private obsessions. In American Mirror, Solomon, a biographer and art critic, trains her perceptive eye on both the art and the man. She also brilliantly chronicles the visual history of American journalism and the battle pitting photography against illustration.
- Author BiographyDeborah Solomon is the author of two previous biographies of American artists: Jackson Pollock: A Biography and Utopia Parkway: The Life and Work of Joseph Cornell (FSG, 1997). She has written about art and culture for many publications, and her weekly interview column, Questions For, appeared in The New York Times Magazine from 2003 to 2011. She lives in New York City with her family.
- Author(s)Deborah Solomon
- PublisherFarrar, Straus & Giroux Inc
- Date of Publication26/11/2013
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFarrar, Straus & Giroux Inc
- Content Note8 pages of colour illustrations & 73 black-&-white illustrations
- Weight767 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine51 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.37New
- AU $21.29New
- AU $24.95New
- AU $20.04New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.91New
- AU $11.60Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.68New
- AU $32.15New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $18.97Trending at AU $21.29
- AU $79.16Trending at AU $90.81
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.51
- AU $39.94Trending at AU $43.68
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.64
- AU $57.72Trending at AU $62.56
- AU $77.20Trending at AU $94.90
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.