All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWelcome to Rockwell Land, writes Deborah Solomon, in this wise and spirited biography of the artist who provided America with a defining image of itself. As the star illustrator of The Saturday Evening Post for nearly half a century, Norman Rockwell mingled fact and fiction to capture the we-the-people, communitarian ideals of American democracy. Freckled Boy Scouts and their mutts, sprightly grandmothers, a young man standing up to speak at a town hall meeting, a little black girl named Ruby Bridges walking into an all-white school - here was an America whose citizens seemed to believe in equality and gladness for all. Who was Norman Rockwell? Behind the folksy, pipe-smoking facade lay a surprisingly complex figure-a lonely man all too conscious of his inadequacies. He would eventually be treated by the influential psychotherapist Erik Erikson. In American Mirror, biographer and art critic Deborah Solomon draws on unpublished papers to explore the relationship between Rockwell's anguished creativity and his genius for reflecting American incence. Brilliantly observed and vividly described, American Mirror explains why Norman Rockwell deserves to be remembered as a master of the first rank.
- Author BiographyDeborah Solomon is the author of two previous biographies of American artists: Jackson Pollock: A Biography and Utopia Parkway: The Life and Work of Joseph Cornell (FSG, 1997). She has written about art and culture for many publications, and her weekly interview column, Questions For, appeared in The New York Times Magazine from 2003 to 2011. She lives in New York City with her family.
- Author(s)Deborah Solomon
- PublisherSt Martin's Press
- Date of Publication18/11/2014
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSt Martin's Press
- Out-of-print date17/05/2016
- Content Noteincludes one 8-page full-colour insert & 72 black-&-white photographs
- Weight553 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine40 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.