All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSports are t what they used to be. New publicly funded stadiums resemble shopping malls. Fans compete for cash prizes in fantasy sports leagues. Sports video games are w marketing and public relations tools and team logos have become fashionable brands. The larger social meanings sports hold for fans are being eclipsed by their commercial function as a means to sell merchandise and connect corporate sponsors with consumers. This book examines how the American consumer culture affects professional and collegiate sports, reducing fans to consumers and trivializing sports themselves.
- Author BiographyCory Hillman is a lecturer at in the Communication and Dramatic Arts Department at Central Michigan University, USA. His work has appeared in the Communication & Sport journal as well as various book publications. He lives in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, USA.
- Author(s)Cory Hillman
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication30/06/2016
- SubjectGeneral Sport & Fitness Training
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Weight363 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $191.05New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.