All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is the second of a two-volume set exploring the controversies about the experiences of Americans from Africa. It contains essays on the roots of protest, including the original Confessions of Nat Turner; the background and character of the Civil Rights Movement; the origins and impact of Black Power; and, finally, in Negroes Nevermore, varied views on the meaning of Black Pride. Included here are selections written by black and white social scientists, psychiatrists, historians, and political figures offered in careful juxtaposition. Among the contributors are Raymond and Alice Bauer, Robert Blauner, Stokely Carmichael, Erik Erikson, Martin Luther King, Jr., Joyce Lander, C. Eric Lincoln, August Meier and Elliott Rudwick, Tom Mboya, Gerald Mullin, Alvin Poussaint, and Mike Thelwell. Volume I, Slavery and Its Aftermath, addresses four other issues: the retention of Africanisms; the impact of slavery on personality and culture; differences in the experiences of living in the South and North; and matters of community, class and family. Originally published in 1970, these volumes have stood the test of time. Each of the issues considered still resonate in American society and all are critical to understanding many matters that still confront many Americans from Africa.
- Author BiographyPeter I. Rose is Sophia Smith Professor Emeritus and senior fellow at the Khan Institute at Smith College and visiting fellow at Stanford. His recent books include Tempest-Tost (1997), The Dispossessed (2005), Postmonitions of a Peripatetic Professor (2013), and the 50th anniversary edition of They and We (2014). Transaction will soon release Mainstream and Margins: Sixty Years of Commentaries on American Pluralism.
- PublisherTransaction Publishers
- Date of Publication30/03/2016
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationSomerset, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTransaction Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight640 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byPeter I. Rose
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $23.03New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.96
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.47
- AU $60.86Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.87
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.