All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines the long, complex experience of American involvement in irregular warfare. It begins with the American Revolution in 1776 and chronicles big and small irregular wars for the next two and a half centuries. What is readily apparent in dirty wars is that failure is painfully tangible while success is often amorphous. Successfully fighting these wars often entails striking a critical balance between military victory and politics. America's status as a democracy only serves to make fighting - and, to a greater degree, winning - these irregular wars even harder. Rather than futilely insisting that Americans should t or cant fight this kind of irregular war, Russell Crandall argues that we would be better served by considering how we can do so as cleanly and effectively as possible.
- Author BiographyRussell Crandall is a Professor of International Politics and American Foreign Policy at Davidson College. His previous books include The United States and Latin America after the Cold War (Cambridge, 2008); Gunboat Democracy: US Interventions in the Dominican Republic, Grenada, and Panama (2006); and Driven by Drugs: US Policy Toward Colombia (2008). Interwoven with his academic career, Crandall has held high-level foreign policy appointments within several sectors of the US government, including the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Office of the Secretary of Defense at the Pentagon and the National Security Council at the White House.
- Author(s)Russell Crandall
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication28/04/2014
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note21 b/w illus. 22 maps
- Weight1040 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine38 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.