All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $46.87
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $23.77Trending at AU $25.71
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.10Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
About this product
- DescriptionAn evocative and stunning photographic tribute to America's railroad stations. For much of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the railroad station or depot was the communal hub of every American town that could boast of train service. There, citizens gathered before they sent loved ones off to college, marriage, or war-and where they greeted them on their return. Most of these buildings were architectural gems, and while many are still in service, certain others w house museums, banks, restaurants, and more. In fact, in cities like Washington, D.C., and Philadelphia, revated stations are destinations unto themselves even for those t boarding the train. And in other places, whole sections of towns have been remade around these structures, restoring their vitality in vel and interesting ways long after the last train has left the station.In America's Great Railroad Stations, award-winning photographer Roger Straus III, and two lifelong railroad buffs, Ed Breslin and Hugh Van Dusen, join forces to tell the astonishing story of these enduring structures and the important role they still play in the country's landscape. Journeying from the Pennsylvania Railroad to the Union Pacific to Michigan Central and more, readers will be dazzled by the Beaux Arts monuments of New York and the adobe buildings of the Southwest. Filled with both new and archival photographs and drawings, this volume is a glorious salute to the institution that transformed our nation.
- Author BiographyRoger Straus III spent thirty years in book publishing before becoming an architectural photographer. His work has appeared in newspapers, magazines, and several books. He lives in North Salem, New York. Ed Breslin and Hugh Van Dusen are veteran editors and publishers of several decades in the book business. Both live in New York City.
- Author(s)Ed Breslin,Hugh Van Dusen,Roger Straus
- PublisherAvery Publishing Group
- Date of Publication27/10/2011
- SubjectTrains & Railways: General Interest
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAvery Publishing Group
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1451 g
- Width287 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.