All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBiologists studying large carnivores in wild places usually do so from a distance, using telemetry and ninvasive methods of data collection. So what happens when an anthropologist studies a clan of spotted hyenas, Africa s second-largest carnivores, up close and in a city of a hundred thousand inhabitants? In Among the Bone Eaters, Marcus Baynes-Rock takes us to the ancient city of Harar in Ethiopia, where the gey waraba (hyenas of the city) are welcome in the streets and appreciated by the locals for the protection they provide from harmful spirits and dangerous mountain hyenas. They ve even become a local tourist attraction.At the start of his research in Harar, Baynes-Rock contended with difficult conditions, stone-throwing children, intransigent bureaucracy, and wary hyena subjects intent on avoiding people. After months of frustration, three young hyenas drew him into the hidden world of the Sofi clan. He discovered the elements of a hyena s life, from the delectability of dead livestock and the nuisance of dogs to the unbounded thrill of hyena chase-play under the light of a full moon. Baynes-Rock s personal relations with the hyenas from the Sofi clan expand the conceptual boundaries of human-animal relations. This is multispecies ethgraphy that reveals its messy, intersubjective, dangerously transformative potential.
- Author BiographyMarcus Baynes-Rock is a research associate with the University of Notre Dame. He divides his time between Indiana, Ethiopia, and northern New South Wales, where he lives with his wife and baby daughter.
- Author(s)Marcus Baynes-Rock
- PublisherPenn State University Press
- Date of Publication31/08/2015
- SubjectNatural History: Animal & Wildlife
- Series TitleAnimalibus: Of Animals and Cultures
- Series Part/Volume Number8
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPenn State University Press
- Content Noteblack & white halftones, maps
- Weight680 g
- Width185 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Foreword byElizabeth Marshall Thomas
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $64.63Trending at AU $68.59
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.25
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $98.79
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.