All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionCelia Thaxter was already a popular poet when she began to publish the essays of Among the Isles of Shoals in the Atlantic Monthly in 1869; they were an immediate sensation. Charles Dickens called Thaxter's essays admirable and Horace Greeley declared, The best prose writing I have seen for a long time is Mrs. Thaxter's 'Isles of Shoals' in the Atlantic. Published as a book in 1873, Among the Isles of Shoals remained equally popular, printed t only in hardcover but also in a fifty-cent guidebook edition which was sold in railway stations. Now generally considered to be Thaxter's masterpiece, Among the Isles of Shoals is available once again in this new edition. Thaxter was raised on the Isles of Shoals, a group of nine small, rocky islands off the coast of New Hampshire, and she lived there off and on for much of her life. This lyrical volume seamlessly blends natural history, oral tradition, and personal observation. The landscape of the Isles of Shoals has changed little since Thaxter's tribute, but as the Hartford Courant ted upon its original publication, whether the traveler goes to these isles or t, if he has this little volume in his pocket, wherever he is he will have a most charming companion.
- Author BiographyCelia Laighton Thaxter (1835-1894) was one of the most popular poets of the late nineteenth century and a leading literary figure who counted among her friends such writers as John Greenleaf Whittler, Sarah Ome Jewett, and Nathanlel Hawthorne. She is best remembered today for her non-fiction books An Island Garden and Among the Isles of Shoals.
- Author(s)Celia Thaxter
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication01/06/2003
- SubjectNatural History: General
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of New England
- Content Note16 illus.
- Weight290 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.