All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER NAMED ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE AND THE HUFFINGTON POST For fans of Jennifer Egan, Jonathan Franzen, Lorrie Moore, and Curtis Sittenfeld, Among the Ten Thousand Things is a dazzling first vel, a portrait of an American family on the cusp of irrevocable change, and a startlingly original story of love and time lost. Jack Shanley is a well-kwn New York artist, charming and vain, who doesn t mean to plunge his family into crisis. His wife, Deb, gladly left behind a difficult career as a dancer to raise the two children she adores. In the ensuing years, she has mostly avoided coming face-to-face with the weaknesses of the man she married. But then an anymously sent package arrives in the mail: a cardboard box containing sheaves of printed emails chronicling Jack s secret life. The package is addressed to Deb, but it s delivered into the wrong hands: her children s. With this vertigius opening begins a debut that is by turns funny, wise, and indescribably moving. As the Shanleys spin apart into separate orbits, leaving New York in an attempt to regain their bearings, fifteen-year-old Simon feels the allure of adult freedoms for the first time, while eleven-year-old Kay wanders precariously into a grown-up world she can t possibly understand. Writing with extraordinary precision, humor, and beauty, Julia Pierpont has crafted a timeless, hugely enjoyable vel about the bonds of family life their brittleness, and their resilience. Praise for Among the Ten Thousand Things A luscious, smart summer vel . . . by a blazingly talented young author. The New York Times Book Review This book is one of the funniest, and most emotionally honest, I ve read in a long time. Jonathan Safran Foer Obsessively compelling . . . emotionally sophisticated . . . Among the Ten Thousand Things rises above [other vels] for its imagined structure, sentence-by-sentence punch, and pure humanity. Vanity Fair Gripping . . . Pierpont brings this family of four to life in sharply observed detail. . . . An acute observer of social comedy, Ms. Pierpont has a keen eye for the absurd. The Wall Street Journal Pierpont s language is heart-stopping. . . . Between Pierpont s literary finesse and her captivating characters, [ Among the Ten Thousand Things ] reads like a page-turner. Entertainment Weekly (grade: A) A twisty, gripping story that packs an emotional wallop. O: The Oprah Magazine There are going to be as many ingenious twists and turns in this literary vel as there are in a top-tch work of suspense like Gone Girl. Maureen Corrigan, NPR s Fresh Air Tender, delicately perceptive . . . Pierpont s voice is wry and confident, and she is a fine anthropologist of New York life. The Washington Post Pierpont displays a precocious gift for language and observation. . . . She captures the minutiae of loneliness that pushes us away from each other and sometimes brings us back. San Francisco Chronicle From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyJulia Pierpont is a graduate of the NYU Creative Writing Program, where she received the Rona Jaffe Foundation Graduate Fellowship, as well as the Stein Fellowship. She lives in New York City.
- Author(s)Julia Pierpont
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication15/07/2015
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House US Audio
- Weight227 g
- Width127 mm
- Height152 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Read byHillary Huber
- Contained items statement8 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time540
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $35.44
- AU $28.57Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $48.99Trending at AU $55.35
- AU $31.18Trending at AU $37.14
- AU $45.90Trending at AU $46.34
- AU $14.77Trending at AU $19.69
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $45.78
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.