All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA ride on a rollercoaster is the highlight of any trip to an amusement or theme park, and such attractions have been entertaining the public for well over a century. From the first mass-produced rollercoaster, the Switchback Railway, through to the giant wooden coasters of the inter-war period, seaside historian Martin Easdown uses historic postcards and photographs to chart their development and that of other amusement rides including revolving towers, aerial rides, Ferris wheels and water chutes, all of which were produced from the late Victorian era in myriad forms. Essential to the very existence of such amusement venues as Blackpool Pleasure Beach and Margate Dreamland, these much-loved rides are t so far removed from their modern-day equivalents as they might at first appear.
- Author BiographyMartin Easdown is a seaside historian and Archivist of the National Piers Society who is an acknowledged expert on the history of piers and other seaside amusements and architecture. He is a published author of over thirty books on piers, seaside and local history and has regularly contributed to television and radio programmes.
- Author(s)Martin Easdown
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication19/06/2012
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Series TitleShire Library
- Series Part/Volume Number693
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintShire Publications Ltd
- Content Note20 b/w; 50 col
- Weight131 g
- Width149 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine5 mm
Best-selling in Travel Guides
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $26.99Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $12.95Trending at AU $15.36
- AU $21.88Trending at AU $28.30
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $12.84
- AU $7.31Trending at AU $12.20
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $22.51
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $14.44
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.