An Account of the Manners and Customs of the Modern Egyptians: Written in Egypt During the Years 1833, -34, and -35, Partly from Notes Made During a Former Visit to That Country in the Years 1825, -26, -27 and -28 by Edward William Lane (Paperback, 2013)
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEdward William Lane (1801-76) published this work in two volumes in 1836. Resident in the country for many years, and fluent in Arabic, he devoted his life's study to Egypt. A fellow of the Royal Society of Literature and the Institut de France, Lane translated One Thousand and One Nights and selections from the Koran. His major work was an Arabic-English lexicon; a monumental undertaking, he was working on the sixth volume when he died. Volume 1 of Modern Egyptians offers detailed accounts of climate, housing, education and domestic life. It also looks at the country's systems of religion, law and government, and examines language, literature, sciences and magic. A bestseller in its own day, this well-illustrated work remains a key text for students of nineteenth-century Egypt and the Arab world.
- Author BiographyEdward William Lane (1801-76), a name known to almost everyone in all the many fields of Middle East studies, was the author of a number of highly influential works: An Account of the Manners and Customs of the Modern Egyptians (1836), his translation of The Thousand and One Nights (1839-41), Selections from the Kur-an (1843), and the Arabic-English Lexicon (1863-93). In 2000, his long-forgotten manuscript Description of Egypt was published for the first time by the AUC Press. Jason Thompson is currently a visiting professor at Bates College. He is the editor of Lane's Description of Egypt (AUC Press, 2000) and the author of A History of Egypt: From Earliest Times to the Present ( AUC Press, 2008) and Edward William Lane, 1801-76 ( AUC Press, 2010).
- Author(s)Edward William Lane
- PublisherCambridge Library Collection
- Date of Publication31/01/2013
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleCambridge Library Collection - Perspectives from the Royal Asiatic Society
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note61 b/w illus.
- Weight590 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.82Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.