All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAt a time in U.S. history when negative stereotypes and prejudices toward the Germans in Pennsylvania abounded, Benjamin Rush's account sought to redeem their image in the eyes of Americans-both citizens and leaders. Rush uses sixteen points to discuss his observation of the habits and culture of the Pennsylvania Germans, portraying them as hardworking and industrious farmers, opposed to debt and excess. Published in 1789, just one year after the ratification of the U.S. Constitution, this account remains as part of an eighteenth-century narrative that stressed the virtues of Jeffersonian Republican ideals, which Rush held strongly. His positive generalizations about Pennsylvania German diet, material culture, work ethic, religion, hospitality, and other manners came from experience working with the members of the community, and are put forth to reinforce the group as an example of citizenship to others. The volume concludes with a call to citizens of the United States, and national and state legislators, to see the Pennsylvania Germans as a model for upholding the republican virtues of industry and ecomy. Benjamin Rush's brief account is accompanied, in this reprint of an 1875 edition, by extensive tes, a preface, and appendixes written by the Pennsylvania historian I. Daniel Rupp.
- Author BiographyBenjamin Rush (1746 1813) was a physician and signer of the Declaration of Independence, as well as a member of the Second Continental Congress. I. Daniel Rupp (1803 1878) was a historian and translator best known for his county and local histories of Pennsylvania.
- Author(s)Benjamin Rush
- PublisherPennsylvania State University Press
- Date of Publication03/02/2011
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationPennsylvania
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPennsylvania State University Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight95 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine4 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $62.69
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
- AU $35.29Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.74
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.