All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis informative and entertaining work provides information on more than 660 terms used in omastics, the study of names. The book is organized as a dictionary, with entries and cross-references that enable users to locate terms using either their common names or their more formal terms. So, for example, under cat names one finds that the scientific term for that area of study is ailuronymics. Or, nautonymics is the study of boat names. Most entries include information on the origin of the term, its definition, examples of the term in use, and anecdotal information of interest. A glossary of classical root words-both Greek and Latin-is also included, as well as a bibliography of related works. Students of omastics will find this book both interesting and useful, as will linguists and lovers of language.
- Author BiographyAdrian Room is the author of about 35 popular reference books, mainly on the origins of words and names. He is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society and a member of the English Place-Name Society and the American Name Society.
- Author(s)Adrian Room
- PublisherScarecrow Press
- Date of Publication28/07/1996
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintScarecrow Press
- Weight335 g
- Width141 mm
- Height224 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.