All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionContinuing his exploration of the pathways of British history, Timothy Venning examines the turning points of the period from the death of William I to the reign of Edward III and a little beyond. As always, he discusses the crucial junctions at which History could easily have taken a different turn and analyses the possible and likely results. While necessarily speculative to a degree, the scenarios are all highly plausible and rooted in a firm understanding of actually events and their context. In so doing, Timothy Venning gives the reader a clearer understanding of the factors at play and why things happened the way they did, as well as a tantalizing view of what might so easily have been different. Key scenarios discussed in this volume include: The civil war of 1136-53, how either Stephen or Matilda might have won quick and decisive victory and the likely consequences. What if Richard the Lionheart had t gone on Crusade, leaving the inept John to rule in his place? Could the English (Angevin) Empire in France have been saved? What if that fatal crossbow bolt had missed Richard in 1199, sparing him an early death? What if Edward I's riding accident in 1294 had been fatal, leaving Edward II to succeed at 10 years of age? A whole chapter deals with scenarios surrounding the Scottish kings - What if Robert the Bruce had been killed in 1306?
- Author BiographyDr Timothy Venning is a freelance researcher and author. Among his many previous works are If Rome Hadn't Fallen (Pen & Sword, 2011) and the three previous volumes of An Alternative History of Britain (all published by Pen & Sword in 2013). His fascination with the 'what ifs' of history was first kindled by a comic strip he read in Ranger while at primary school in the late '60s and has endured ever since.
- Author(s)Timothy Venning
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication28/02/2014
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationSouth Yorkshire
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPen & Sword Military
- Content Notemaps (black and white)
- Weight535 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.77New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.90Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $32.49Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.