All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Anglo-Saxon era was a pivotal one in England's history, and formed much of the England that we recognise today. From place names to religion, mythology to poetry, we little understand just how much influence the Anglo-Saxons had until we delve deep into the past of the places they inhabited. David Edmondson uncovers the period's most fascinating locations and the Anglo-Saxon history behind them in this comprehensive and accessible guide to Anglo-Saxon England. Thousands of Old English place names derive from the Anglo-Saxon bond between a local leader and populace. Honiton, for example, means Huna's farmstead or settlement. Birmingham and Hastings are two of numerous tribal ingas names, meaning respectively Beorma's people's village and Haesta's people. As well as historical trivia and must-see sites throughout the country, this guide documents the collections of interest in national and provincial museums to complete the tour. From runes in Northumbria to illuminated manuscripts in Mercia, from detailed paintings and carvings to the awe-inspiring monastic ruins on the Holy Island, there are many places today that seep evidence and tell secrets of the Anglo-Saxons. Use this guide to discover Anglo-Saxon England first-hand.
- Author BiographyDavid Edmondson was born in Lancashire in 1949. He graduated in urban planning studies from the University of Wales in 1970. As a town planner he specialised in conservation of built heritage and environmental planning before moving on to land reclamation and economic regeneration in the county's declining coalfield and steel towns. He has been interested in history, historical sites and archaeology since his teens.
- Author(s)David Edmondson
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/11/2014
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note45
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine7 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.