All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis title is an illustrated collection of verse and prose. It is a beautiful compilation of fine art illustrations, verse and prose to celebrate the mythology of dragons; from the Bible and the classical world of Europe to the dragons of Asia and America. Lavishly designed and embellished, the book contains over 120 sumptuous fine art paintings and illustrations. It includes charming, evocative stories and poems written about dragons over the centuries by authors such as Hesiod, William Morris, Sir James Frazer and Charles Kinsley, as well as fragments of folklore and Biblical tales. It is the ideal gift for everyone who enjoys the symbolism and formidable power of these mythical beasts. This vibrant anthology celebrates the dragon; full of fire, vem and fury, hurtling through the skies to bring terror and destruction or invested with mystic symbolism, wisdom and spiritual significance. In ancient Greece and Biblical times these dangerous beasts abducted maidens and held cities to ransom, while in Northern Europe they brooded in caves, guarding hoards of treasure. All these deadly beasts were finally thwarted by heroes, archangels or magicians of their day, audacious warriors of skill and courage. Chinese dragons have a more mystical and less combative history; closely connected with water and bringing thunder and life-renewing rain. Similarly the ancient American dragon, the feathered serpent, is the symbol of rain. Wherever they come from, and whatever their threat or blessing, dragons are always uniquely magnificent, wayward and wrathful. This book celebrates their ferocity, fire and dangerous magnificence.
- Author BiographySteve Dobell the compiler of this book, is an experienced editor and writer of illustrated non-fiction. For this anthology he has drawn on his extensive knowledge of history, mythology and literature.
- PublisherAnness Publishing
- Date of Publication12/05/2013
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLorenz Books
- Content Noteover 120 photographs
- Weight259 g
- Width160 mm
- Height160 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited bySteve Dobell
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.76Trending at AU $42.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.