All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOur political age is characterized by forms of description as big as the world itself: talk of public kwledge and public goods, the commons, or global justice create an exigency for modes of governance that leave little room for littleness itself. Rather than question the politics of adjudication between the big and the small, this book inquires instead into the cultural epistemology fueling the aggrandizement and miniaturization of description itself. Incorporating analytical frameworks from scientific studies, ethgraphy, and political and ecomic theory, this book charts an itinerary for an internal anthropology of theorizing. It suggests that many of the effects that social theory uses today to produce insights are the legacy of baroque epistemological tricks. In particular, the book undertakes its own trompe l'oeil as it places description at perpendicular angles to emerging forms of global public kwledge. The aesthetic trap of the trompe l'oeil aims to capture kwledge, for only when kwledge is captured can it be properly released.
- Author BiographyAlberto Corsin Jimenez is a Senior Scientist at the Spanish National Research Council in Madrid. He is the editor of Culture and Well-Being: Anthropological Approaches to Freedom and Political Ethics (Pluto, 2008) and The Anthropology of Organisations (Ashgate, 2007). His current work examines the rise of an urban commons movement and the development of open-source urban hardware projects by architects, artists, and academics.
- Author(s)Alberto Corsin Jimenez
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication22/07/2013
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleEthnography, Theory, Experiment
- Series Part/Volume Number1
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Note6 figs & ills
- Weight435 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.