All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat role has Jewish intellectual culture played in the development of modern Romance literature? Susanne Zepp seeks to answer this question through an examination of five influential early modern texts written between 1499 and 1627: Fernando de Rojas's La Celestina, Leone Ebreo's Dialoghi d'amore, the anymous tale Lazarillo de Tormes (the first picaresque vel), Montaigne's Essais, and the poetical renditions of the Bible by Joao Pinto Delgado. Forced to straddle two cultures and religions, these Iberian conversos (Jews who converted to Catholicism) prefigured the subjectivity which would come to characterize modernity. As New Christians in an intolerant world, these thinkers worked within the tensions of their historical context to question rms and dogmas. In the past, scholars have focused on the Jewish origins of such major figures in literature and philosophy. Through close readings of these texts, Zepp moves the debate away from the narrow question of the authors' origins to focus on the invative ways these authors subverted and transcended traditional genres. She interprets the changes that took place in various literary genres and works of the period within the broader historical context of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, demonstrating the extent to which the development of early modern subjective consciousness and its expression in literary works can be explained in part as a universalization of originally Jewish experiences.
- Author BiographySusanne Zepp is Chair for Spanish and Portuguese Literature at Freie Universitat Berlin and Deputy Director of the Simon-Dubnow-Institute for Jewish History and Culture at Leipzig University.
- Author(s)Susanne Zepp
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication19/11/2014
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleStanford Studies in Jewish History and Culture
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Weight476 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.