All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the best-selling author of So Many Partings comes a powerfully moving story of two sisters who are thrust by circumstance into defying an empire. Elizabeth and Constance FitzGibbon, daughters of an Irish Protestant lord, are sheltered by great wealth and a loving family. But when headstrong Con turns her back on her past to marry an aspiring poet named Tierney O'Conr, who is fiercely devoted to the Irish cause, his fiery dream of revolution propels her into the firestorm of revolution. And when Beth FitzGibbon's own marriage to aristocratic Edmond Manningham proves cruelly disappointing, she, too, joins the heart of Ireland's bitter struggle. Dublin is a hotbed of Republican fervor, and the FitzGibbon sisters find themselves at the center of it. With their comrades James Conlly, Padraig Pearse, and Countess Markievicz they suffer hunger strikes and imprisonment. Finally they help plan one of the most audacious revolutions of all time, The Easter Rebellion. When for six days, beginning Easter Monday 1916, a small force of men and women holds out against the British Empire, even though the tragic outcome is never in doubt, the FitzGibbon sisters play out a destiny that is both heroic and unforgettable. This is a story of the extraordinary love that can exist between sisters, and of the love of a country that can demand passion, daring, and sacrifice, in order to fulfill its destiny. In this story, rich with historical detail, the torch is finally passed to the next generation. It is Con and Tierney's son Tahg, who assumes the challenge of his parents' unfinished dream. His fiercest foe is ne other than his arrogant cousin, Winston Manningham. Jealousy over a beautiful actress, Kitty O'Neill, inflames their hatred, resulting in tragedy, and as civil war sweeps the nation, Beth's children, too, are engulfed in the carnage. When peace finally comes, it is Beth who bears witness to the fulfillment of a seven-hundred-year-old dream passed from generation to generation. An Excess of Love brings to vivid life the Irish struggle for independence and tells the story of one impassioned family who lives the dream of freedom, and heroically pay the terrible price it exacts.
- Author BiographyBest-selling author, Cathy Cash Spellman has written five books that have been New York Times and International Best Sellers in hardcover and paperback. Her books include: Lark's Labyrinth Snowflake from the Hand of God So Many Partings An Excess of Love Paint the Wind Bless the Child The Playground of the Gods They've been sold in 22 countries, and Bless the Child, starring Kim Basinger and Jimmy Smits, was a successful Paramount movie in 2000. Cathy is an Astrologer and has written extensively about esoteric subjects from metaphysics to healing and mysticism. She has both practiced and written about a wide variety of healing modalities, including Cranio Sacral Therapy, Polarity, Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese medicine, Qi Gung, Native American Shamanic Healing, and Spiritual Healing. She holds Black Belt rank in Goju Ryu Karate and teaches both Women's Empowerment and Energy (Qi) Workshops. She has been a monthly columnist for Mode and Grace Magazines, Sweet16.com and Astromessenger.com. She has written for Mademoiselle, Self, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan, Town and Country, and Kung Fu magazines on health, energy, beauty, sexuality, woman's empowerment and many other topics. Cathy invites you to visit her website at www.cathycashspellman.com
- Author(s)Cathy Cash Spellman
- PublisherWild Harp & Company Inc.
- Date of Publication06/10/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectRomance & Sagas
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWild Harp & Company Inc.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight930 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $31.01New
- AU $86.25New
- AU $21.56New
- AU $43.88New
- AU $23.51New
- AU $25.04New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.48Trending at AU $31.01
- AU $76.69Trending at AU $86.23
- AU $74.55Trending at AU $83.16
- AU $59.73Trending at AU $61.86
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $20.85
- AU $22.29Trending at AU $22.91
- AU $10.68Trending at AU $18.69
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.