All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is an introduction to the Buddhist faith and its practice worldwide, in over 300 artworks and photographs. This is a fascinating and informative guide to the Buddhist faith, from the life of the Buddha through to modern-day Buddhism. It looks at the different schools of Buddhism around the world and how they have evolved. Special themed features focus on Buddhist art, symbolism and architecture, as well as Buddhist Holy days, festivals and rituals. It examines key themes such as the role of women in Buddhism, the importance of the pagoda, and the suppression of the Buddhist faith. It is beautifully illustrated with more than 300 inspirational photographs of paintings, statues, important historical sites and archaeological finds. This richly illustrated reference introduces and explains Buddhist philosophy and how it is practised worldwide. The book opens by exploring the roots of Buddhism through the Buddha's life and teachings, and then explores the practice of Buddhism today, and how the Buddhist faith is followed and interpretated around the world. There is fascinating information on the different Buddhist schools, such as Theravada, Zen, Pure Land and Nichiren, and of the key masters central to them. Beautifully illustrated in 300 inspiring images, this book is the perfect introduction for those new to Buddhism, and a vital resource for students and scholars alike.
- Author BiographyConsultant Editor Ian Harris is Professor of Buddhist Studies in the Division of Religion and Philosophy. He was educated at the Universities of Cambridge and Lancaster and is the author of The Continuity of Madhyamaka and Yogacara in Early Indian Mahayana Buddhism (1991), Cambodian Buddhism: History and Practice (2005) and editor of Buddhism and Politics in Twentieth Century Asia (1999) and Buddhism, Politics and Power (2006). He is co-founder of the UK Association for Buddhist Studies and has written widely on aspects of Buddhist ethics and politics. He was Senior Scholar at the Becket Institute, St. Hugh's College, University of Oxford (2001-04) and is currently Senior Research Fellow at the Documentation Centre of Cambodia, Phnom Penh.
- PublisherAnness Publishing
- Date of Publication15/11/2011
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteover 300 colour photographs
- Weight816 g
- Width228 mm
- Height297 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsWith flaps
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.