All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis title charts the history of amphibious warfare in conflicts around the globe, from World War I to the present day. It features conventional personnel and cargo carriers, welldeck dock ships , modern multi-function ships, ramped beaching craft and high-speed air-cushion craft. It explores the fascinating history of the five recognized categories of amphibious operation: assault, raids, demonstrations, feints and withdrawal. It includes detailed analyses of key naval operations in Gallipoli, Dieppe, the Pacific, Normandy, Leyte Gulf, Iwo Jima, Vietnam, the Falklands and the Middle East. It includes over 220 archive photographs and a glossary explaining naval acronyms, abbreviations and termilogy. Wars are decided definitively through the occupation of an enemy's territory - a task for military forces, which may have to be transported by sea. This authoritative volume covers the complete history of amphibious warfare vessels: the ships that travel from shore to shore, and the craft that move from ship to shore. Through the use of historical examples, it highlights the many activities necessary for a successful operation, from surveying and minesweeping to fire support, fighter direction and tri-service control. With over 220 photographs from museums and historical sources, the book provides enthusiasts with a lively guide to this fascinating subject.
- Author BiographyBernard Ireland has spent his working life with the Royal Naval Scientific Service and its successor organizations. To an already deep interest in naval history he has thus added a considerable in-depth knowledge of warship technology, enabling him to assess a design's strengths and weaknesses. He has also acted as freelance technical illustrator to major shipping companies. He has written 30 books on maritime technological or historical subjects, and has also contributed to many partworks and journals.
- Author(s)Bernard Ireland
- PublisherAnness Publishing
- Date of Publication31/07/2014
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteover 220 photographs
- Weight431 g
- Width216 mm
- Height282 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsWith flaps
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.