An Illustrated History of Islamic Art & Design: An Expert Introduction to Islamic Art, from Calligraphy, Tiles, Costumes and Carpets to Pottery, Woodcarvings and Metalwork by Anness Publishing (Paperback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $19.33Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $44.48+ AU $28.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis title offers an expert introduction to Islamic art, from calligraphy, tiles, costumes and carpets to pottery, woodcarvings and metalwork. It includes an insightful study of the history of some of the most spectacular artistic achievements of the Islamic world. It features a wide range of artistry, from Umayyad coins, wood carving and lustreware to Kashan pottery, Indian carpets and Mughal painting. Expert text describes the technical and stylistic attributes, and places the artefacts in the cultural context of their time and place. It is stunningly illustrated with over 250 colour photographs, including magnificent fine-art paintings. It is supplemented with an index of the world's greatest museum-collections of Islamic art today. The Islamic world has created a wealth of art treasures and this book explores that rich heritage. The diversity of decorative Islamic artforms is simply breathtaking, extending from the formal splendour of Arabic calligraphy of the early Qurans and the beautiful Fatimid woodcarvings of 12th and 13th century Egypt to the elegant Ottoman carpets woven in the 14th and 15th centuries, and the exquisite lusterware produced by potters in Islamic Spain in the 15th century. Meticulously researched, and lavishly illustrated with more than 250 colour photographs, reproductions and fine-art paintings, this superb book offers a wonderful overview of Islamic art.
- Author BiographyMoya Carey received her doctorate in Islamic art from the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) at the University of London, in 2001. She is a freelance researcher and lecturer, teaching at the Victoria and Albert Museum, Sotheby's Institute of Art, Birkbeck College and on the Diploma of Asian Art at SOAS. Previously she has worked as a researcher for the Chester Beatty Library in Dublin, the late Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan in Geneva, the Museum of Islamic Art in Doha and the British Museum in London. Her research-interests include the history of manuscript painting in the Islamic world, medieval astronomy iconography and the role of medieval libraries in the transmission of scholarship.
- PublisherAnness Publishing
- Date of Publication15/11/2011
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteover 250 colour photographs & fine-art paintings
- Weight658 g
- Width228 mm
- Height297 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsWith flaps
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.87Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.29Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $25.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.