An Illustrated History of the Later Crusades: The Crusades of 1200-1588 in Palestine, Spain, Italy and North Europe, from the Sack of Constantinople to the Crusades Against the Hussites, Depicted in Over 150 Fine Art Images by Charles Phillips (Paperback, 2011)
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe crusades of 1200-1588 in Palestine, Spain, Italy and Northern Europe, from the Sack of Constantiple to the crusades against the Hussites, depicted in over 150 fine art images. This title offers an evocative account of what are kwn as the Late Crusades: the fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eight and ninth crusades between 1200 and 1588. It explains the political and religious background to the struggles in Palestine, the Christian determination to regain Spain, and the rise of the Ottomans in Egypt. It includes the wars waged by fellow Christians with the papal campaigns against the Cathars and Hussites, as well as against the pagan tribes in the Baltic states. It features the brotherhoods of warrior monks, including the Knights of St John, and the Knights Templar. It includes special sections on the crusading knights, generals and princes of that time such as: Prince Edward of England, King Peter of Cyprus, and Grand Master Jacques de Molay. This title is richly illustrated throughout with over 150 images of the battles, fortresses and epic journeys of the crusaders. This expertly researched and vividly illustrated book details the fascinating later crusades, which were fought between 1200 and 1588. These began with the attempts to regain the city of Jerusalem, held by the Christians for two generations but lost to Saladin in 1187. Conflict soon spread to Egypt, Spain and Italy, and then beyond, as the Pope used his call to arms to invoke campaigns against European pagans and Christian heretics. Charles Philips succeeds in explaining this complex period of history, and examining how the crusades impacted on the religious, social and political aspects of life in that time.
- Author BiographyCharles Phillips is an established writer of popular history and the author of many books. He has a keen interest in British history and the story of the Royal Family and was a key writer of Time Life's Myth and Mankind series, which blends mythology with the art and history of ancient cultures. Charles is a graduate of Oxford University and holds an MA from the University of Westminster, London.
- Author(s)Charles Phillips
- PublisherAnness Publishing
- Date of Publication15/11/2011
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteover 150 colour illustrations
- Weight522 g
- Width228 mm
- Height297 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsWith flaps
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.88Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.29Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $25.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.