Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $32.78Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
- AU $33.35Trending at AU $36.06
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
About this product
- DescriptionJulius Malema has risen to prominence and power with meteoric speed. From impoverished origins in a Limpopo township, he has, before the age of 30, amassed the political and ecomic power to command the entire youth wing of the ANC, and to own several substantial luxury homes. The sources of his wealth are befogged by speculation and mystery, but his appeal to the massed ranks of the township and village poor of his country is visible for all to see. And his inflammatory style -- his 'theme song' is 'Shoot the Boer' -- his contrarian tendencies and his showmanship have rapidly brought him to the attention of the world. So troublesome has he become that the old guard of the ANC have gone to great lengths to shackle and reprimand him, and he is w formally in dispute with them. An Inconvenient Youth traces Malema's life, from his early years in Limpopo to his joining the student structures of the ANC in the early 1990s, and his rapid rise through the party's ranks to become the president of the ANC Youth League in 2008. Forde analyses the sources of Malema's wealth, exploring his seamless approach to business and politics. She situates Malema within the ANC's history and shows in unprecedented detail how he has perfected the practices that characterise a new 'struggle' in which individuals extend their personal wealth and political power at the expense of the people. This insightful, meticulously researched account explores how a brave child has grown to become a grave inconvenience, t only to the ANC, but also, due to his style of politics, to South Africa's fledgling democracy.
- Author BiographyFIONA FORDE is an author and journalist who covers politics and current affairs. She is currently based in South Africa where she has worked for some of the country's main newspapers. She has also collaborated with leading investigative teams in exposing corruption among South Africa's political elite. She was born in Galway, Ireland.
- Author(s)Fiona Forde
- PublisherGranta Books
- Date of Publication04/10/2012
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPortobello Books Ltd
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.