All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOriginally published in 1814, this is a reprint of the Yale University Press 1950 edition with an introduction by Roy Franklin Nichols. 562 pp. Taylor wrote this important work in 1814 as a reply to John Adams's Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America. Unlike Adams, he rejects the concept of a natural aristocracy of paper and patronage and a federal government based on a system of debt and taxes. He considers the American government to be one of divided powers responsible to the sovereign people alone. Opposed to the extent of power awarded to the executive office, he calls for shorter terms for the president and all elected officers. Charles Beard said this work deserves to rank among the two or three really historic contributions to political science which have been produced in the United States. JOHN TAYLOR [1753-1824] was kwn as John Taylor of Caroline County, Virginia. He served in the Continental Army and later in the Virginia House of Delegates, then served three terms as a member of the United States Senate. He is considered to be one of the nation's greatest philosophers of agrarian liberalism. He was one of the nation's first proponents of states' rights. His works include New Views of the Constitution of the United States (1823), Construction Construed, and Constitutions Vindicated (1820) and A Defence of the Measures of the Administration of Thomas Jefferson. By Curtius (1804), an argument in favor of the achievements of the first Jefferson administration.
- Author(s)John Taylor
- PublisherLawbook Exchange, Ltd.
- Date of Publication30/07/2013
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLawbook Exchange, Ltd.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight993 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine35 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $29.85Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.72Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.