All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn Introduction to American English explains American English in the context of American life, history, and institutions, while also making comparisons with British English. This book includes chapters on spelling, pronunciation, grammar, and vocabulary which discuss how the language reflects American lifestyles and how new words are created. Coverage also includes language use and politeness; regional, social, and ethnic dialects, such as African-American English; and language politics. Much of the material presented is viewed within the framework of American history, government and education. Every chapter is followed by a set of recommended readings and references, some of which include Internet resources. An Introduction to American English is the ideal resource for n-native speakers and undergraduates studying of American English, as well as teachers of English as a second or foreign language.
- Author BiographyGunnel Tottie is Professor of English Linguistics at the University of Zurich, Switzerland. She is author of Negation in English Speech and Writing (1991) and editor of Creating and Using English Language Corpora (with Udo Fries and Peter Schneider, 1994), and Negation in the History of English (with Ingrid Tieken-Boon van Ostade and Wim van der Wurff, 1999).
- Author(s)Gunnel Tottie
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication26/10/2001
- Series TitleLanguage Library
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishers
- Content Note14
- Weight452 g
- Width144 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.75
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $38.99
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.32
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.