All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is a general introduction to the English spoken in Ireland, its most characteristic features, and its historical development. It provides a practical introduction to the topic of Irish English (also kwn as Hiber-English), the variety of English that arose in Ireland as a consequence of contact between the Irish and the English languages. As well as looking at the specific examples where substratum from Irish can be observed, the book analyses other features unique to Irish English, from different perspectives (taking into account, for example, the pragmatic implications of certain syntactic structures in current spoken Irish English). It offers the reader a comprehensive coverage of the history and most salient features of this variety of English, while discussing key concepts such as bilingualism and language shift. The material is presented in a simple and accessible manner. It encourages the reader to discuss and think critically about some of the topics and to use the last section of each chapter as a basis for further investigation. An Introduction to Irish English contains exercises and practical activities with each chapter, as well as suggestions for further reading. It deals with both real data and fictional representations of this variety and it includes excerpts from Literature, media and film scripts, as well as other contexts, including everyday conversation, political debates, newspapers, e-mail, blogs, etc.
- Author BiographyCarolina P. Amador-Moreno is a lecturer in the Department of English at the University of Extremadura in Spain. Her research interests are Irish English, stylistics, dialectology, sociolinguistics, language contact, discourse analysis, and corpus linguistics. She is the author of The use of Hiberno-English in Patrick MacGill's Early Novels: Bilingualism and Language Shift from Irish to English in County Donegal. (The Edwin Mellen Press, 2006).
- Author(s)Carolina P. Amador- Moreno
- PublisherEquinox Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication01/03/2010
- Series TitleEquinox Textbooks & Surveys in Linguistics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEquinox Publishing Ltd
- Content Note8 illustrations
- Weight698 g
- Width169 mm
- Height244 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
- AU $22.95New
- AU $77.48New
- AU $36.45New
- AU $30.03New
- AU $78.48New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.52Trending at AU $64.59
- AU $21.89Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $22.97
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.08
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.31
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $94.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.