All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSome twenty years ago it was widely believed that thing much happened to the English language since the beginning of the eighteenth century. Recent research has shown that this is far from true, and this book offers an introduction to a period that forms the tail end of the standardisation process (codification and prescription), during which important social changes such as the Industrial Revolution are reflected in the language. Late Modern English is currently receiving a lot of scholarly attention, mainly as a result of new developments in sociohistorical linguistics and corpus linguistics. By drawing on such research the present book offers a much fuller account of the language of the period than was previously possible. It is designed for students and beginning scholars interested in Late Modern English. The volume includes: *a basis in recent research by which sociolinguistic models are applied to earlier stages of the language (1700-1900) *a focus on people as speakers (wherever possible) and writers of English *research questions aimed at acquiring skills at working with important electronic research tools such as Eighteenth Century Collections Online (ECCO), the Oxford English Dictionary and the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography *reference to electronically available texts and databases such as Martha Ballard's Diary, the Proceedings of the Old Bailey and Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management.
- Author BiographyIngrid Tieken-Boon van Ostade has a chair in English Sociohistorical Linguistics at the University of Leiden in the Netherlands. She is the director of a VICI research project called The Codifiers and the English Language: Tracing the Norms of Standard English.
- Author(s)Ingrid Tieken-Boon van Ostade
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2009
- Series TitleEdinburgh Textbooks on the English Language
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Content Notenone
- Weight222 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.37Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.