An Introduction to Linguistics and Language Studies by Anne McCabe (Paperback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $48.80Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $48.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $22.76Trending at AU $23.86
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
About this product
- DescriptionThis introductory textbook provides readers with a foundation in methods for analyzing and understanding language from various theoretical perspectives within linguistics and language studies. Its vel approach introduces systemic functional linguistics, text and discourse analysis, and formal approaches to linguistics. It demonstrates applications of these approaches to reveal how we use language in society, how our brains process language, and how we learn language. Topics include phonetics, phology, conversation analysis, morphology, syntax, semantics, language change and variation, animals and language, the brain and language, and first and second language acquisition. The main language focused on is English, although other languages are also used to illustrate the linguistic principles. Exercises and questions for reflection are provided throughout, and a final chapter is included which gathers explanations of various fields of practice within linguistics, written by linguists from around the world, including David Crystal (Clinical Linguistics), Frances Christie (Educational Linguistics), and Malcolm Coulthard (Forensic Linguistics). The book offers an array of analytical tools for undergraduate students of language, communication, and education, and provides an overview of the field for those interested in further study in linguistics and applied language studies.
- Author BiographyAnne McCabe is Chair of the Languages and Literature Division at Saint Louis University's Madrid Campus, where she also teaches linguistics, ESL, and writing pedagogy to undergraduate and graduate students at Saint Louis University's Madrid Campus. She holds a PhD in Language Studies from Aston University, Birmingham, UK. She has published a number of articles in applied linguistics, and edited two collections of papers with Rachel Whittaker and Mick O'Donnell on applications of linguistics to first and second language literacy development.
- Author(s)Anne McCabe
- PublisherEquinox Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication15/01/2011
- Series TitleEquinox Textbooks & Surveys in Linguistics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEquinox Publishing Ltd
- Content Note78 figures
- Weight680 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.