All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis clear and concise introduction to nuclear physics provides an excellent basis for a core undergraduate course in this area. The book opens by setting nuclear physics in the context of elementary particle physics and then shows how simple models can provide an understanding of the properties of nuclei, both in their ground states and excited states, and also of the nature of nuclear reactions. The book also includes chapters on nuclear fission, its application in nuclear power reactors, the role of nuclear physics in energy production and nucleosynthesis in stars. This second edition contains several additional topics: muon-catalysed fusion, the nuclear and neutri physics of supervae, neutri mass and neutri oscillations, and the biological effects of radiation. A kwledge of basic quantum mechanics and special relativity is assumed. Appendices deal with other more specialized topics. Each chapter ends with a set of problems for which outline solutions are provided.
- Author BiographyNoel Cottingham is a theoretician working in the HH Wills Physics Laboratory at the University of Bristol. He is also a visiting professor at the Universite Pierre at Marie Curie, Paris. Derek Greenwood is a theoretician working in the HH Wills Physics Laboratory at the University of Bristol.
- Author(s)D. A. Greenwood,W. N. Cottingham
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication22/02/2001
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note56 b/w illus. 11 tables
- Weight430 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.