All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn Introduction to Stochastic Processes with Applications to Biology, Second Edition presents the basic theory of stochastic processes necessary in understanding and applying stochastic methods to biological problems in areas such as population growth and extinction, drug kinetics, two-species competition and predation, the spread of epidemics, and the genetics of inbreeding. Because of their rich structure, the text focuses on discrete and continuous time Markov chains and continuous time and state Markov processes. New to the Second Edition * A new chapter on stochastic differential equations that extends the basic theory to multivariate processes, including multivariate forward and backward Kolmogorov differential equations and the multivariate Ito's formula * The inclusion of examples and exercises from cellular and molecular biology * Double the number of exercises and MATLAB(R) programs at the end of each chapter * Answers and hints to selected exercises in the appendix * Additional references from the literature This edition continues to provide an excellent introduction to the fundamental theory of stochastic processes, along with a wide range of applications from the biological sciences. To better visualize the dynamics of stochastic processes, MATLAB programs are provided in the chapter appendices.
- Author BiographyLinda J.S. Allen is a Paul Whitfield Horn Professor in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at Texas Tech University. Dr. Allen has served on the editorial boards of the Journal of Biological Dynamics, SIAM Journal of Applied Mathematics, Journal of Difference Equations and Applications, Journal of Theoretical Biology, and Mathematical Biosciences. Her research interests encompass mathematical population biology, epidemiology, and immunology.
- Author(s)Linda J. S. Allen
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication16/12/2010
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintChapman & Hall/CRC
- Content Note80 black & white illustrations, 22 black & white tables
- Weight816 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.87
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.93
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.52
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.