All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Paramarthasara, or 'Essence of Ultimate Reality', is a work of the Kashmirian polymath Abhinavagupta (tenth-eleventh centuries). It is a brief treatise in which the author outlines the doctrine of which he is a table exponent, namely ndualistic S aivism, which he designates in his works as the Trika, or 'Triad' of three principles: S iva, S akti and the embodied soul (nara). The main interest of the Paramarthasara is t only that it serves as an introduction to the established doctrine of a tradition, but also advances the tion of jivanmukti, 'liberation in this life', as its core theme. Further, it does t confine itself to an exposition of the doctrine as such but at times hints at a second sense lying beneath the evident sense, namely esoteric techniques and practices that are at the heart of the philosophical discourse. Its commentator, Yogaraja (eleventh century), excels in detecting and clarifying those various levels of meaning. An Introduction to Tantric Philosophy presents, along with a critically revised Sanskrit text, the first antated English translation of both Abhinavagupta's Paramarthasara and Yogaraja's commentary. This book will be of interest to Indologists, as well as to specialists and students of Religion, Tantric studies and Philosophy.
- Author BiographyLyne Bansat-Boudon is Professor in the Section des sciences religieuses at the E cole Pratique des Hautes E tudes (EPHE) in Paris, and an Honorary Senior Member of the Institut Universitaire de France (IUF). Her main fields of research are Sanskrit Literature and Poetics, Aesthetics and the S aiva tradition. She published in 1992 Poetique du theatre indien. Lectures du Natyacastra, and, in 2006, as the chief editor of the volume and a translator, Theatre de l'Inde ancienne, Gallimard (Bibliotheque de la Pleiade). Kamaleshadatta Tripathi is Emeritus Professor at the Benares Hindu University, India, where he was Dean of the Faculty of Sanskrit Learning and Theology and Head of the Department of Religious and Agamic Studies. For several years he also was the director of the Kalidasa Akademi in Ujjain. His research interests include Agamic Philosophy, Hindu Theology, Philosophy of Grammar, Sanskrit Literature, Poetics and Aesthetics.
- Author(s)Kamalesha Datta Tripathi,Lyne Bansat-Boudon
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication15/02/2013
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight703 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $20.06New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.