All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionV. George Shillington introduces readers to the text, texture and context of Luke-Acts in this tried and tested introduction, w in its second edition. Using various approaches currently practiced by biblical scholars Shillington outlines the methods of biblical interpretation and then shows how they might be applied to the texts in question. Through historical criticism Shillington looks at and explains questions of authorship, the time and setting of the composition, sources and historical background. Taking a social-science approach he examines the society and culture of the time. Literary readings include narrative, socio-rhetorical, and audience-response approaches, while a theological reading asks how the literary texture and themes of Luke-Acts shape the convictions of Christian communities, past and present. Incorporating modern approaches in the field, Shillington looks at postcolonial and feminist criticism and how they have changed our understanding of these books. Each chapter concludes with a list of further relevant resources, and pertinent review questions. The text is accompanied by charts and diagrams to illustrate key points of language and structure.
- Author BiographyV. George Shillington is Professor Emeritus of Biblical and Theological Studies, Canadian Mennonite University, Winnipeg, Canada.
- Author(s)V.George Shillington
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication24/09/2015
- SubjectReligious Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleT&T Clark Approaches to Biblical Studies
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintT.& T.Clark Ltd
- Weight238 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.