All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book gives an introduction to C*-algebras and their representations on Hilbert spaces. We have tried to present only what we believe are the most basic ideas, as simply and concretely as we could. So whenever it is convenient (and it usually is), Hilbert spaces become separable and C*-algebras become GCR. This practice probably creates an impression that thing of value is kwn about other C*-algebras. Of course that is t true. But insofar as representations are con- cerned, we can point to the empirical fact that to this day one has given a concrete parametric description of even the irreducible representations of any C*-algebra which is t GCR. Indeed, there is metamathematical evidence which strongly suggests that one ever will (see the discussion at the end of Section 3. 4). Occasionally, when the idea behind the proof of a general theorem is exposed very clearly in a special case, we prove only the special case and relegate generalizations to the exercises. In effect, we have systematically eschewed the Bourbaki tradition. We have also tried to take into account the interests of a variety of readers. For example, the multiplicity theory for rmal operators is contained in Sections 2. 1 and 2. 2. (it would be desirable but t necessary to include Section 1. 1 as well), whereas someone interested in Borel structures could read Chapter 3 separately. Chapter I could be used as a bare-bones introduction to C*-algebras. Sections 2.
- Author(s)William Arveson
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication23/03/1998
- Series TitleGraduate Texts in Mathematics
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 39
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight438 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
- Edition Statement1st ed. 1976. Corr. 2nd printing 1998
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.